Basics of the prime mover:-
In earlier days when there were no technological improvement or no creativity in the field of development of the mechanical machines, the human being had to depend on his physical strength and on animal for several works to carry out. But now with the improvement of engines and many energy sources to produce power from the engines, it became possible to meet various needs in our day to day life and work.
What is the prime mover?
“Prime mover is a device, which uses the energy from natural sources and converts it into mechanical energy.”
Various sources of energy used by prime movers:- Prime movers use different origins of energy. The several origins are as follow:-
Burning of fuels:-
This is the most important origin of energy. When any fuel is combusted, it discharges the heat energy. The energy given out by fuel depends on the nature of fuel burnt. Various fuels have various calorific values and based on that heat is released by fuel. Then this heat energy is transformed into mechanical energy.
It is another useful and widely used origin of energy. Water flowing from a specific height contains the potential energy. This potential energy is transformed into kinetic energy when it reaches to the prime mover. Here prime mover is a hydraulic turbine through which power is produced. Another use of river water is to generate steam in a boiler. Again this steam is used in steam turbines and steam engines to generate the mechanical power.
Nowadays with modern development atoms are used as a good and rich origin of energy. Heat energy is generated by fission or fusion of atoms. This heat energy is transformed into mechanical work by engines.
This origin of energy is widely used nowadays because it is available freely everywhere. It is a renewable origin of energy.
The origin of energy is also freely available so it is trapped to make its proper use to generate power. It is also falling in the division of a renewable source of energy.
Types of prime movers:-
The prime movers are listed based on the sources of energy utilized by them. The arrangement is shown below:-
Thermal prime movers:-
These are the prime movers which use the thermal energy of source to produce power. Different thermal prime movers are given below:-Fuels (Heat engines):- These prime movers use several fuels like petrol, diesel, oil, gas to produce mechanical power.
Fuels (Heat engines):- These prime movers use several fuels like petrol, diesel, oil, gas to produce mechanical power.
Heat engines are two types:-
- External combustion engines:-Reciprocating steam engines Steam turbineClosed cycle gas turbine Internal combustion engines:-Reciprocating I.C. enginesOpen cycle gas turbine
- Nuclear (Nuclear power plant):- This prime mover utilises the heat energy of atoms by fission or fusion method to develop the mechanical power. It is chiefly used in nuclear power plants. Different radioactive components like uranium, thorium are used for these fission or fusion process in a nuclear reactor.
- Geothermal:- In this kind of prime mover the heat energy is recovered from a certain depth or the hot part of the earth beneath earth surface then it is transformed into mechanical by the proper engine.
- Biogas:- Biogas is principally produced from garbage or any other waste which is used to generate power by the prime mover in a biogas plant.
- Solar energy:- The solar energy spread to the earth in the form of radiation or electromagnetic waves. This energy trapped in with the help of solar panel made up of semiconductor element. This heat energy is then turned into power.
Non-thermal prime movers:-
These kinds of prime movers do not use the heat energy to transform it into mechanical power. The following are the non-thermal prime movers:-
- Hydraulic turbines:- This kind of prime mover uses the stored potential energy of water to generate power.
- Wind power:- With the help of the wind turbine, wind energy is transformed into power.
- Tidal power:- The energy of tides from the ocean is transformed into power by the use of the turbine which is known as tidal power.
Prime movers synonyms in transportation trade:- There are many uses of prime movers in transportation trade. Some of the applications are discussed below:-
A tractor unit (prime mover or traction unit) is a characteristically heavy-duty towing engine that gives motive power for dragging a towed or trailered load. These fall into two divisions: heavy and medium-duty military and financial rear-wheel drive “semi-tractors” used for dragging semi-trailers, and very heavy-duty typically off-road proficient, often 6×6, military and commercial tractor units, highway tractor puller vehicles including ballast tractors.
A tructor is a motor vehicle sketched to transport cargo. Trucks varry in size, power and configuration; smaller varieties may be mechanically related to some automobiles. Tractor units typically have ample displacement diesel engines. These are used for power stability and economy, several axles and a multi-ratio transmission (10, 13, or 18 gears) for highest flexibility in gearing. The tractor-trailer combination shares a load across various axles while being more manoeuvrable than an equivalently sized stiff truck. The most popular tractor-trailer attachment arrangement is a fifth wheel coupling, providing rapid shift between trailers performing various functions, such as a bulk tipper and box trailer. Trailers including differing cargos can be rapidly interchanged between tractors, discharging downtime while a trailer is unloaded or loaded. Drawbar couplings are also observed, individually in dedicated exceptionally heavy-duty ballast tractors and as a means to attach intermediate fifth-wheel dollies for pulling multiple semi-trailers.
There have been three common cab arrangements used in tractors, two are still widely used.
- The traditional has an engine and hood over the front axle in front of the cab, as in most vehicles. This style is almost common in North America.
- The cab over engine or cab forward has a flat nose cab with the operator sitting in front of the front axle. Generally used in the EU and Japan, this style has the benefits of good vision and manoeuvrability and allows highest trailer length comparative to overall length. In North America, this type of cab can be beneficial in rigid trucks, but now has little benefit in tractors and is rarely used.
- A North American style cab covering the engine, now principally obsolete, had a flat nose cab positioned higher over the engine, with the operator sitting above the front axle. This provided a sleeper compartment in a short tractor, and highest wheelbase relative overall length, essential for bridge formula weight limitations. With the loosening of length limitations in 1982, this technique had limited applications and is no longer manufactured for the U.S. supermarket. This style is still however recommended in Australia where length limitations still implement on many roads and it is used to maximise the capacity of both single trailer and B double configurations, and American associations Freightliner and Kenworth still create trucks in this style for this market. In Australia, both styles of cab over engine truck as well as conventionals are in general use.
Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley Mover:- Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley Mover offered high performance-based hydraulic multi-axle trailers that highlight the comfort of towing bar and hydraulic gooseneck that supports full ease in handling of Ovesize heavy haulage ODC loads. With the presence of powered gooseneck improving the manoeuvrability of trailers. The trailers also have the help of hydraulic platform and all-wheel steerable option that gives for an enhanced payload volume of trailers. Other than hydraulic suspension comfort, the trailers also come with many options of adjusting platform stage and presence of a safety valve in the hydraulic circuit.
SPMT Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley
SPMT Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley
Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley
Hydraulic Multi-Axle Trailer Trolley
- High performance-based hydraulic multi-axle trailers trolley mover
- Highlighting support of towing bar and hydraulic gooseneck that provides complete ease in handling of ODC loads
- Presence of powered gooseneck also improves the manoeuvrability of trailers
- Support of hydraulic platform and all-wheel steerable option gives for an enhanced payload capacity of trailers
- Other than hydraulic suspension comfort, the trailers also come with advantages of adjusting platform height and appearance of the safety valve in the hydraulic circuit
- Proper for both automatically and manually steering support
- Providing for trustworthy operations when the movement of ODC is required over large distances
- Determining suitability for carrying oversized equipment like a gas turbine, windmill, generator, transformer, etc.
Trucking dolly :-
A trucking dolly is an unpowered vehicle sketched for connection to a tractor unit, truck or prime mover vehicle with substantial traction power. There are several types of trucking
- Full trailer:- 2 axle (4 wheels), with a drawbar which also manages the trailer’s forward axle steering. The drawbar does not carry the load of the full trailer. The heavy full trailer requires to have its brakes remotely controlled by the prime mover vehicle.
- Semi-trailer:- 1 axle (2 wheels), without the forward axle but have a landing gear. Big semi-trailer of truck size is sketched for intermediary via the fifth wheel on the tractor unit or the semi-trailer truck. Small semi-trailer such as travel trailer and boat trailer is designed for intermediary via a tow hitch of a passenger vehicle. Either the fifth wheel or the tow hitch takes up to share the load of the semi-trailer.
- Road train:- Special oversized dolly bogie equipped with a fifth wheel for a further intermediary by the gooseneck type drawbar of different similar dolly and form a road train. The ultimate dolly in a road train requires its rear lights, brakes remotely managed by the prime mover vehicle and registration plate.
- Tow dolly:- A semi-trailer sketched as automobile rescue facilities. It is invented to couple to the concerned automobile’s powered wheel, i.e. the forward wheel of a front-wheel-drive automobile, or the rear wheel of a rear-wheel-drive automobile, by securing the powered wheels onto the tow dolly’s tray. The tow dolly is towed hitch attached to a tractor or truck. Tow dollies are allowed in all 50 US states and Canada. In the U.S. and Canada, obstacles are required on any loaded car tow dolly.
Classification by coupling configuration:-
There are two basic types:-
1. Converter dolly, implemented with between one and three axles and sketched to attach to a towbar on the rear of the truck or trailer in front. There are two variants of this:-
i. A A-dolly has a unique drawbar with a centred coupling.
ii. A C-dolly has two separate couplings side-by-side.
2.Low loader dolly, implemented with a gooseneck type drawbar that connects to the fifth wheel coupling on the rear of a prime mover to share the mass on the fifth wheel on the dolly within the prime mover and the wheels of the dolly. These are predominantly related with two axles.
The Puller vehicle is particularly sketched for pulling vehicles easily, safely and efficiently without creating damage to the bumper or body of the vehicle. Their Puller vehicle is sketched for automotive truck repair centres, car dealers, body shops, manufacturers, auto galleries, auctions and government highway service industries.
The most obvious applications that demand a Puller vehicle is the towing of a stalled or non-operable vehicle in and out of a service centre, the moving of a vehicle on a dealership showroom platform or an auction house or gallery, or at the end of a vehicle production line. The unit’s power, size, maneuverability, and price tag make it a remarkably attractive clarification compared to alternative modes of moving wheeled vehicles in tight and restricted areas.
The Puller vehicle has many individual features over other techniques to relocate vehicles including its hydraulic roller rams that effortlessly pull any two wheels of a vehicle up a ramp, off the ground, so the powered Puller vehicle tug can quickly and safely turn and manoeuvre the vehicle without the wheels of the vehicle moving. This procedure reduces the cumbersome straps, hooks, and brackets required to lift and pull a vehicle, or the “bumping” of the vehicle from behind with rubber push pads.